Saint Louis, MO asked in Employment Law for Missouri

Q: Can my employer change my rate of pay without notification?

Upon receiving my last wage statement, I found my pay had been reduced by $2 p/hr. I was not notified of any rate change. I have talked to my boss and to HR about this and they have told me that because I am not doing a specific task as my job (relief driver) that I am not entitled to the pay - pay I have been receiving apparently for a long time. The thing is, when I was recruited as a relief drive and accepted the understanding of the job was that I be available to relieve other routes but until that time, I had my own route and this is still the case. It is their job description that changed. It changed to drivers not having routes. As recently as August I had spent a robust amount of time away from my route to do relief work, daily filling in on multiple routes (Apr-Aug).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: There is a Missouri statute that may apply. It's a pretty weak one, however.

  290.100. Thirty days' notice of reduction of wages, how. — Any railway, mining, express, telegraph, manufacturing or other company or corporation doing business in this state, and desiring to reduce the wages of its employees, or any of them, shall give to the employees to be affected thereby thirty days' notice thereof. Such notice may be given by posting a written or printed handbill, specifying the class of employees whose wages are to be reduced and the amount of the reduction, in a conspicuous place in or about the shops, station, office, depot or other place where said employees may be at work, or by mailing each employee a copy of said notice or handbill, and such company or corporation violating any of the provisions of this section shall forfeit and pay each party affected thereby the sum of fifty dollars, to be recovered by civil action in the name of the injured party, with costs, before any court of competent jurisdiction.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.