Sarasota, FL asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Florida

Q: Good morning A dog attack me will I’m working and I broke my elbow I left the work for tow months

I hired a lawyer For personal injury

The insurance cover for dog only 50000$ only

The insurance accept to pay 50000 to me

And after deductible I will get around 27000$

So I say no I refuse the offer my lawyer I can’t get more money because the insurance for dog is 50000$

My hand still hurts me after 1 year

My question can I get more money if i refuses the offer or not

And what happened if refuse the offer

I work in the post office

Thank you

2 Lawyer Answers
Domenic J. Celeste
Domenic J. Celeste
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I'm not sure what you mean by deductible, but, I'm assuming it's for attorney's fees, costs, and, maybe, anything that is owed for your medical care. If that's the case, if $50,000 is the limit, then those things would be deducted from that limit, so you wouldn't be able to get the full $50,000 for yourself. For that information, you should listen to your attorney, who knows more about your case than any of us. However, since you were injured at work, you should have a workers' compensation case, which provides medical care and lost wages paid for and provided by the work comp insurance carrier. These would be two separate cases. I'd highly recommend that you consult with an attorney licensed to practice law in Florida and who regularly handles workers' compensation cases.

Terrence H Thorgaard and Charles M. Baron agree with this answer

Adam David Rieth
Adam David Rieth
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It sounds like you need to have a meaningful conversation with the attorney you hired. Insurance policies have monetary limits. The limits are usually lower for animal-related liability claims. Your medical bills, attorneys fees, and costs likely are coming out of the $50k limits that the insurance company tendered, and that is likely clear in your agreement with your attorney. Again, you should set up a meeting with your attorney so he or she can clearly explain your potential recovery and other options.

Charles M. Baron and Domenic J. Celeste agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.