Jacksonville, NC asked in Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: The father of my son served me papers to try for custody where do I go crime here

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: I'm going to operate under the assumption that the word "crime" in your question was a typo and was meant to say "from."

You will need to try and determine what amount of custody he is seeking, and evaluate whether the two of you can come to an agreement on how to share custodial time. Perhaps he is only asking for a limited amount of time or there is an 'easy' way you can split the child's time. You will have a chance to settle your case in custody mediation, so be prepared to discuss various proposals on how to share time.

If you can't settle the case, you will eventually have a hearing in front of a judge who will decide how custody should be split, and the judge will base their decision on what is in the child's best interests. Not your best interest of the father's best interest, but the childs. If you have further questions or need help, I would strongly consider at least consulting with a local family law attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.