Corpus Christi, TX asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Texas

Q: I got a divorce in Massachusetts, I did not ask for child support at the time. Can I ask now?

I now live in Texas, and I’m Active duty Coast Guard. My daughter is 6 years old. I have her for school year and the father gets her for holiday days summer. He does not pay child support at this time. And he refuses to help pay for day care. Occasionally he sends money for clothing.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes, you can. You could file a suit to modify your current court order and request child support. You should first register your current court order in the county where the child resides.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.