Houston, TX asked in Domestic Violence, Elder Law and Personal Injury for Texas

Q: If I live with an elderly person and they are harming , neglecting and falsely accusing me of abuse. Can I get in troubl

We are no longer a couple we share different rooms in the same home. She called aps on me several times and self harms herself to say I caused it . She makes herself fall and will sit there without letting any one know she's fallen just to tell them I left her on the floor for hours. , she urinates on herself intentionally, she self harms herself to make people think I did it to her , She talks bad about me to everyone around. She fakes being sick to get sympathy. Am I legally responsible for her according to aps? She has called them numerous times making false accusations against me .should I move out before I get it trouble for her lies

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can be arrested and charged with a felony if a law enforcement officer believes that you physically hurt an elderly person, or that you neglected a duty to prevent them being hurt. The safest thing is to remove yourself from the situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.