Lorain, OH asked in Family Law for Ohio

Q: I am the mother of two and the father I have been separated for 8 months now and the children have been living with me

Plus we are not married! I received court papers about full custody as of a few days ago. I went to the court house to establish visitation rights with him and now I’ve received papers from a lawyer requesting back round checks on a list of family and friends that do not live in the home with the my children. Also some years back I had a miscarriage and self admitted myself to check for postpartum depression because my friends and family said I should to be safe. Also the lawyer is requesting me to show documents of the history of me getting myself checked. I just want to know if that is legal for them to request that information? And is there a way to fight back without spending a boat load of cash. Please I am begging for a little guidance!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: In determining parental rights for an unmarried father, the judge must consider all the facts and circumstances to determine what is in the best interest of the children. His attorney can request information about you that is relevant to that determination. Depending on how the judges divides parenting time between the two parents, you can ask that the father pay some child support. You need legal representation for this process. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to talk to some local family law attorneys to find one with whom you are comfortable and can work within your budget. Best wishes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.