Rockville, MD asked in Traffic Tickets for Maryland

Q: My license was suspended on January 7th (Non-Resident Violators Compact Suspension). I received a citation in NC.

I never received any documents via mail for my citation or suspension notice. Is it worth appealing this or should I just pay the fine to reinstate ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You do not state what the citation was for—how serious it is, or what the potential consequences will be if you simply pay it. Some states penalize speeding a certain mph above the posted limit as reckless driving, which can carry jail, or enough points upon conviction to result in suspension or revocation of your privilege to drive. Paying the fine results in conviction. So while nonpayment may also result in suspension, payment will do the same in that situation. Other citations are minor in nature and have no consequences to your privilege to drive, but nonpayment of the fine will result in suspension. In those cases, you may be able to simply pay the fine, get reinstated, and suffer no real consequence. You need to ask a NC lawyer about the specific violation you have been cited for, and the consequences in NC of simply paying the fine. It may be possible to remove the suspension by posting the fine and requesting a trial date. A NC lawyer may be able to obtain a better result than merely paying the ticket. While Maryland does not impose or transfer points on your Maryland driving record on account of out of state citations, the conviction will still appear on your driving record, and MD will honor any suspension or revocation imposed by another state. Insurance companies will take such convictions into account when setting your premiums.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.