San Antonio, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: Is it required to let the other parent know of change of residence within 60 or 90 days before move?

What if I need to move before 60 days? Is that not allowed? I just found out I have to move and it needs to be done before that amount of time. I did not see any statement on papers Indicating when I have to let the other parent know.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If there is not a geographical restriction in your court order, preventing you from changing the primary residence of the child without further orders from the court or without the other parent's consent, then typically court orders require the primary parent to notify the other parent of a change in the child's address at least 90 days prior to a change, IF KNOWN at that time. If the new address is not known, then the primary parent is required to notify the other parent of the new address no later than 5 days after the address change.

Typically, this requirement is listed in the "Required Notices" section of your court order. You should read your court order carefully.

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.