Lake Worth, FL asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Florida

Q: Would it be legal for someone being abused to drug their abuser to facilitate an escape?

For example, a woman slipping a sedative into her partner's water so she can escape while he is unconscious

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael  Mayoral
Michael Mayoral
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: This is an oddly specific question. It may be illegal, and probably is. I can see that you're thinking of it in a "self-defense" sense, but it is not that clear and easy to be sure that the action is justified/"legal." In Florida, a person (Defendant) would be justified in using non-deadly force against someone (the victim) if the following two facts are proved: 1. The Defendant must have reasonably believed that such conduct was necessary to defend himself/herself/another against (victim’s) imminent use of unlawful force against the defendant/another person; 2. The use of unlawful force by (victim) must have appeared to (defendant) to be ready to take place.

The best option in this scenario appears to be for the woman to contact law enforcement and tell them that she is a victim of false imprisonment/domestic violence.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.