Austin, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: I started a Harris County Civil Family SAPCR case to get my child back. Can I cancel or postpone the court date?

My sister is abusive and lies a lot and people believe her. We had a mediated agreement in Travis County, I'm pro se, he attorney moved the case to Harris County, where she lives, and then my dad died, and she never even told me, and all of my pro se advocate help is overwhelmed due to Covid, and can't do this by myself? She refuses to probate my dad's will also, I guess so I can't afford an attorney? She says it's all hers, everything was left to her, and I don't believe her. She's a very mean and selfish and jealous person.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can file a Motion for Continuance to postpone the court date and the court will issue you another court date. Your sister can agree with the continuance without court interference. If she doesn't agree to the continuance, you would need to get a court date and ask the Judge to grant you a continuance.

I'm sorry that you cannot afford legal representation as it appears you have a couple of issues in different areas of law: 1.) Family Law and 2.) Probate. You may seek some assistance from legal aid. I believe Lone Star Legal Aid is the service in Harris County.

I hope this information helps. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.