Houston, TX asked in Civil Litigation, Collections and Small Claims for Texas

Q: I was awarded a judgement in small claims court, but I have no idea where to start on the collections process.

Both parties live in Texas, I know where she works, and lives, but I have it on good authority she will be moving sometime this year (2022). She doesn't have many (probably any) assets, rents the house she and her family live in (she's engaged, but not legally married, they have 1 kid together), is (most likely) still paying on the vehicle she drives, and works at a car dealership in Friendswood.

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA

A: Most of the small claims courts and local courts have pamphlets which generally discuss ways to collect a judgment and what to file. That said, depending the amount of the judgment, you might best be served to contact a collection attorney and at a minimum seek a consultation on how to proceed and perhaps hire the attorney to represent you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.