Royal Oak, MI asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Personal Injury for Michigan

Q: I was emotionally harassed by an advisor for sending emails and asking too many questions.

I was looking for options I can have to change my minor. But during the advising meeting I was denied to ask questions and they said they do not care what I choose. I was denied to ask any further questions on the topic and was insulting experience for not knowing what to do even as an international student. As university rules are different for international students, it is crucial to receive proper advising in order to remain in Active status.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: What is your question? It sounds like your best course of action would be to address this issue with your university. Perhaps to the head academic advisor or to a dean of students. Many universities also have departments and deans specific to international students.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.