Saint Clair Shores, MI asked in Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: My mother would like to transfer her house to me and my wife. Do we need a warranty deed or quit claim deed in Michigan

Are there tax ramifications?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: A quit claim and the appropriate transfer and tax affidavits will usually suffice but this is NOT a ‘DIY’ appropriate task. There is much at play and there will also be tax implications and the possibility of a gift tax return being required.

That snd depending on your situation neither form of deed may be the ‘best’ option. Don’t make a mistake that cannot be easily undone — seek the counsel of a local real estate-elder planning attorney to review your case!

— this answer is offered for information only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed in Michigan only. Please seek local legal representation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.