Q: What do I do if my ex is constantly texting me vulgar messages after asking her to stop

Police won’t do anything, do I need to take her to court, will she have to pay for legal fees if I do? We have 2 kids together so we need to talk ANOUT THE KIDS but she is constantly tearing me down. SHe hates my girlfriend and talks bad about us to the kids.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Respond that you are only willing to talk to her about the kids. Do not respond to anything else she sends. If she continues to send those messages after you have been 100% clear AND you have stopped responding, then she is committing the crime of Harassment. The cops probably won't do anything about that either. However, if she continues to commit Harassment, then it eventually becomes the felony crime of Stalking*. There is a decent chance that the cops will ignore this also, but it gives you grounds to apply for a civil protective order pursuant to chapter 7B of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure. If your application is granted, the judge may order her to only communicate about the kids, and violation of that order is a separate crime, and it's a crime where law enforcement has a duty to act.

It is possible that the office of the District Attorney in the county where you live may be willing to provide an attorney to help with an application for Stalking Protective Order at no cost to you. You could also hire a private attorney to do the work, but you'll have to pay that attorney for their time. The cost could be significant, especially if your ex gets their own attorney and fights the order. You could end up having to testify in open court and show your complete texting history to the judge. If you win the hearing and your application is granted then the judge might order your ex to pay some or all of your attorney's fees, but you are still on the hook for them if she can't (or won't.)

* The legal definitions of Harassment and Stalking can be found in chapter 42 of the Texas Penal Code.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.