Asked in Federal Crimes, Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for Louisiana

Q: Can You name institutions or addresses in Louisiana or internet for expropriation in Chicago?

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

my girlfriend living in Louisiana inherits a piece of land in Chicago that the city or state of Illinois wants to expropriate to build a school on.

As I understand it, the court is asking my girlfriend to receive $36,000 as compensation for the inheritance

but demands $1,250 in court costs by February 1, 2022, which she cannot raise in advance.

Otherwise, the property is to be expropriated, which without fair compensation for my girlfriend is for me a crime against the 5th Amendment of the Bill of Rights.

My girlfriend is now scared sick because she fears that she will lose everything.

Can you please help us and give me addresses in internet or contacts in Louisiana or name institutions who can help my girlfriend?

Many thanks for your help!

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You will eventually need an attorney in Chicago if this matter goes to litigation but you may also want a Louisiana atty to assist you with this---use the Justia FIND A LAWYER tab and search for Chicago and Louisiana expropriation attorneys--contact/consult with a few of them ad then hire the one with whom you are most comfortable-----please do so quickly because, as you mention, you might have a February 1 deadline.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.