Liberty, WV asked in Collections for West Virginia

Q: I think the hospital that turned my debt over to collection agency broke hippaa law and I just want to know what to

I live in West Virginia but the hospital is in Maryland

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A West Virginia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. An attorney who reviewed the file and the conduct of the collection company could determine whether there was a HIPAA violation. But it's worth noting that thousands of hospital and medical office patient accounts are placed into collection every day, and there is no need to violate HIPAA in these types of actions. Don't ignore the pending collection action. Tend to that in a timely manner, whether on your own or through a collection defense attorney. If you consult with an attorney on the collection defense, you could discuss why you believe your HIPAA rights were violated in more detail. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.