Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
West Virginia Collections Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Collections for West Virginia on
Q: I'm administrator for my mother's estate. A collection agency put in a claim against it but I cannot contact who I need.

When I call, they say I "have" to speak with Kathy, who is in charge of estate claims; no one else can help me. I've called many times, left messages on every one of those calls and never had a return call. I am going to try a certified letter, but have no idea if it will reach the... View More

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 18, 2023

Is the claim properly filed against the Estate? If not, or there other defenses, it is your duty to contest the claim in Court. Your objection can be served at the given address. If a legitimate claim, then pay it prior to asking to close the Estate, and get a receipt. Hire a WV attorney to... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Collections for West Virginia on
Q: Hello, I received a Civil Complaint for a Judgment in the amount of $13,165.22 for a credit account.

I am not sure what I am suppose to do. Should I reach out to the person that filed it to see what we can do outside of court?

Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
answered on Nov 1, 2023

You can contact the filer or the creditor to see if you can settle the case.

You must also file an appropriate legal document with the court. Consult with debt collection defense attorneys in the state where this occured.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Banking and Collections for West Virginia on
Q: What do I do if the lawyer office garnishing my bank won’t respond?

So basically I owe a psych ward a ton of money. I was sued for it. And now they are garnishing my entire bank account. I have been trying to get ahold of the lawyer company to hopefully negotiate to stop the garnishment but they won’t return my calls and their automated emails just tell me to... View More

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Sep 20, 2022

Get all of your money out of the bank and keep it out until you hire a lawyer and get this problem settled.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Personal Injury, Antitrust and Collections for West Virginia on
Q: I need pointed in right direction for mental anguish claim
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
answered on Sep 2, 2022

The right direction is to contact a personal injury lawyer in your area, set up a consultation, specifically discuss the specifics of your situation and determine your options. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for West Virginia on
Q: I think the hospital that turned my debt over to collection agency broke hippaa law and I just want to know what to

I live in West Virginia but the hospital is in Maryland

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 23, 2022

A West Virginia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. An attorney who reviewed the file and the conduct of the collection company could determine whether there was a HIPAA violation. But it's worth noting that thousands of hospital and medical office patient... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Collections and Constitutional Law for West Virginia on
Q: What happens if I don’t pay the emergency service fee
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Sep 6, 2019

You can have it reported to collections and you can be sued

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.