Seattle, WA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Washington

Q: Can my sons mom hold a video of me being aggressive from a long time ago over my head for custody of my son ?

She was assaulting me and recorded me when I finally lost my cool . We’re broken up and she won’t let me see my son . She’s trying to cut me out of the picture and has another man around him . I just want to be able to see my son . Do I stand a chance in court ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary C Ashby
Zachary C Ashby
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Richland, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: The short answer is yes. She can present all evidence that you are not good to be around your son because you have anger problems.

But because no one is perfect, I'm sure that you have evidence that shows you are patient and a good dad. In fact, you likely have a history since that video was made of being a good dad. The Courts will be expecting you to present that sort of evidence.

Not everyone is able to do so in a convincing way. An experienced family law attorney will be able to help you organize and present your story to minimize any effect from the video.

It is important to talk to your attorney about what evidence will help, what experts to consult, and what steps you need to take in order to counter any "bad" information that may come to light during your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.