Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Mississippi

Q: Had uncle who died. My father and my uncle are heirs. Land loan is on the property that is currently being paid.

Yet the county won't let me get tags without proof of residency and everything is still in my deceased uncle's name. Please help

1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: The deed to the land cannot be changed without court intervention. It should be probated so that the deed can be changed to the names of your father and uncle. That, however, won’t solve your problem since you are not an heir to the land. You have to establish residency in the county yourself, which usually means a utility bill, a bank account with the address in that county, a paycheck with the address, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.