San Antonio, TX asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Texas

Q: I’m a father lived in texas won custody them I moved to Virginia and boys mother took me too court again and I won in

Virginia too now we have moved back to texas been here for almost a year and they want me to go back to Virginia for a appeal but I lived in Virginia and the boys mom never resides in Virginia she resides in Washington state so neither one of us is even in Virginia didn’t get served so do I need to go or she has to come to texas now

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you didn't get served, how do you know that there is an appeal in Virginia?

Either way, if no party resides in Virginia, you would need to file a motion to transfer the case to Texas. However, until the case is transferred, the Virginia court can still make a ruling in the case.

You should seek legal counsel in Virginia to assist you with this matter so that you don't subject yourself to the jurisdiction of that court.

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.