Waltham, MA asked in Divorce for Massachusetts

Q: Wife filed for divorce in 2019. What to do to finalize divorce? Husband pays child support for 2 kids

My friends wife filed for divorce, 1B. For covid reason, all hearings were postponed. They had only one zoom hearing 6.06.2021. Judge's decision was for them to get agreement and to provide a paper how they both are going to care of kids. Judge gave them 30 days. Until now wife did not respond husband's email about his view for this document. Wife does not do anything; he pays child support according pre-devorce agreement and seems wife is OK with a current situation.

Husband does not have lawyer with some reason. He called to the court many times,but no decision so far. Question: how long can divorce take,what should be husband's next step? Even if he has not a lawyer,should be a legal timing and procedure, it can't last forever.. he called to the court many times, but nothing has been changed.

Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If the children are unemancipated or minors then there would be child support anyway. The real point is you want to conclude your divorce. You have not stated what type of hearing you had via Zoom. It could have been a pretrial conference and perhaps a trial date is next. Really you seem to need legal representation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.