Haines City, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: do I have any options ? I have no lease or any rental agreement. current on rent.

The roof in my bedroom fell on me 3 weeks after I moved into the property. Landlord is refusing to make any attempts to repair it. I've rented this property for almost 1 year and have had a damaged roof for 11 months. I called code enforcement November 2020 and during their inspection they found 18 violations. after I called code my landlord told me because I called them to consider that as my notice to move out. He then called me again and told me the reason I have to move out is because he is selling our side of the apartment . The building I live in is a single family house that has been separated into 2 apartments. My side of the house doesn't even have a breaker box the box that controls the whole house is inside the bathroom of the other side of the other apartment. He then called again and said if I moved everything out 12-26 he would mail me back my security deposit. He allowed me to pay rent for January but is giving me until the 1st of February to move out.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you were injured when the roof caved in, then retain counsel here in Florida on contingency fee which means you don’t pay anything unless you win. I have had success with cases like this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.