Detroit, MI asked in Probate for Michigan

Q: Which type of Deed(s), affidavit(s) /waiver(s) is needed to convey & allow 1 heir to transfer/relinquish their interest?

Only 2 heirs , no mortgage. One heir is also Personal Representative. There’s no additional unpaid debts or reason to sell house & 1 heir wants to sign over their portion of the property.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: We really cannot give specific legal advice in a forum like this. There are too many possible variables to provide a 'definitive' answer.

You need to consult with a local real estate / probate attorney to insure things are handled properly. Don't be 'penny wise and pound foolish' about this -- having an attorney prepare a deed is both inexpensive in the grand scheme of things and will avoid issues later on. I can't begin to count the number of 'errors' or issues I've spotted when doing deeds. Don't sell yourself short by refusing to hire a good local attorney!

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.