Sebring, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: Can I sue Department of Children and Families for lying about me on an investigation report?

Not only that but also closing my case without notifying me that it had been closed? How do I go about in even starting to get my kids back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew J Ausley
Matthew J Ausley
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Anybody can sue anybody at any time. Whether that would result in anything positive for you is a very different question. From the information you have shared, it doesn't sound like you will get what you want by trying to sue DCF. But set a consultation with an attorney if you are committed to the idea.

Now, getting your children back is much more likely. The goal of the system is reunification. Unless your parental rights have been terminated, there should be a plan for you to follow to get your children back. Start by going to the courthouse and getting copies of all the documents in your case. Read them. Typically, you will have been assigned an attorney. If so, contact that person. If not, ask the clerk to help you set a hearing in your case and just ask the judge what you need to do. You probably can get your children back if you just get involved in the process and do what they tell you to do. It may be difficult and uncomfortable, but I find that life is frequently that way. Best of luck. You can do this.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.