Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: can you go before judge if your fines are paid and ask for an early deferment ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: In many instances a Judge WILL entertain an application or motion for early termination of a deferred probation provided all probationary obligations have been satisfactorily completed and fines, costs, assessments and probation fees are paid in full. You simply have your attorney file the motion and see if the Court will agree to sign an Order Setting Hearing and find a place for the request on his/ her docket. If they set it for hearing…that’s promising. If they refuse to do do so it is likely because they are disinclined to grant such relief.

Why would the Court NOT want to grant such relief? Well, many times enduring the journey of the probation (successfully negotiating probation, complying with all probationary requirements, paying all money, avoiding further contact with law enforcement during that time) is such an integral part of the punishment that they are NOT inclined to shorten it. But, you will never know until you and your attorney file your motion and give it a try. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.