New Orleans, LA asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: I applied for a return visa to france on the 5th of november, it has been almost 3 months and nothing, can I sue them?

I am a moroccan student who studies in france through a staying permit and came to the US as an exchange student. I lost my wallet including my staying permit in the united states. So I applied for a visa to go back to france on the 5th of november. My us visa ended on the 17th of december and I had to leave but I couldn't as I didn't get my papers back. I am but a student, so I don't have money to live in the US for this long. My lease was over and I had to find multiple places to live, I lost job opportunities in france because of this delay, I lost time, money and lots of sleep over this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: It is unfortunate, but losing visa documents can prove devastating. It seems that you have chosen not to leave, so you have fallen out of status. The longer that you stay, the less likely that you will be able to return. Your U.S. visa may be eventually be canceled or revoked.

Given, exceedingly low staffing levels, and the fact that visas are granted as a matter of discretion, perhaps, you can politely seek the personal attention and sympathy of an appropriate consular official. Otherwise, your efforts may be futile.

Look at the positive side, you were not stranded in Nazi Germany! Good luck.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.