Las Vegas, NV asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nevada

Q: Can my ex put our son in a school without my permission?

My ex husband and I share 50/50 custody of our sons. We agreed to pull our 5 year old out of kindergarten due to us believing he is not ready for school yet. We had agreed not to force him to go to dads when he is refusing to go and now he is also forcing him to go after telling him he wouldn’t. He constantly pulls this where he tells me he cannot do this anymore and I win and our 5 year old doesn’t have to come and can stay with me during the weeks and then at random changes his mind. I feel this is really screwing with our son is there anything I can do? And he is also changed his mind about kindergarten and is trying to enroll him in a public school on his side of town as he cannot get him in to daycare for his weeks. Is he allowed to enroll him in a school without my permission?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: this answer depends on your decree. if you both share joint legal custody, it is customary for both parents to be involved in this type of school decision - unless your decree states differently. Further, giving a five year old the right to decide on custody/timeshare is not something a judge will look favorably on. Please refer to your decree to see if you should file a motion with the court to address these issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.