Independence, KY asked in Child Custody for Kentucky

Q: Can someone who’s lost custody of kids to me for using drugs and skipping the court dates lawfully drag me thru court ?

Long story short-mother had a baby while on drugs and baby tested positive.Child services took her two children and gave me the option of taking them temporarily while the case went on.mother skipped court,went on the run for a vop and had another child out of state,returned to original state that took the kids from her and out of the blue got a lawyer and began court to get more visitation and a result the judge ordered me to meet with her every week for an hour and she keeps texting me saying she’s getting them back and insulting me.It’s costing thousands to defend myself in the case and feels so unfair.My questions-Can she legally do this without being held responsible for my legal fees?Can she legally demand visitation outside of a facility if I don’t feel comfortable meeting with her just because of the fees?Is it possible that she and her lawyer have skipped steps to get us here?it all feels so unlawful as if she can skip it all and just get the kids back.Been years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Short answer. Yes. It happens in every custody case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.