Orlando, FL asked in Child Support and Divorce for Florida

Q: I want to divorce my wife of 20yrs and I have 2 kids 16 and 12. We are having problems with our intimate relations.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pamela J. Fero Esq.
Pamela J. Fero Esq.
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: First, find a lawyer who will represent you from the start and walk you through the process.

Florida is a “no fault” divorce state, which means that spouses only need to tell a court that the marriage is “irretrievably broken” in order to get a divorce. You can file a petition which states that the marriage is irretrievably broken, and describe what you would like from the court. Your spouse will file an answer, which gives you the opportunity to reply to the petition.

If you both agree on basic divorce issues, like separating property, child custody, child support, and spousal support, you will need to submit a written agreement to the court. If your wife agrees on all terms of the divorce, the divorce may be final in only a few weeks. If not, the divorce may end in a trial.

You can also do this through simplified procedure if you meet the criteria for this form of dissolution proceeding. I hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.