Jerseyville, IL asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Illinois

Q: My husband just was told he may have a 7 year old son he didnt know about. The mother hasn't had the child for awhile.

the mother is in jail right now waiting a trial and then will go to prison for a while. I am his wife. We want to prove paternity and totally adopt him as OURS . But don't want him around his "mother" ever again seeing as she is so unfit. We have 4 kids of our own and a house and I have a great job. Will we have to pay backed child support and is it possible for her rights to be totally stripped ? Her charges are mostly all drug manufacturing felonies along with controlled substance charges too. Also, if we get the child does dcfs have to investigate us first too? I don't want a history of having a case with them as that looks bad.

1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: There are too many variables in your situation for a lawyer to give you solid advice on these issues without sitting down and talking to you and your husband. I encourage you to make an appointment with an attorney in your area who handles adoptions. Also, if DCFS has to due an investigation of you due to the adoption, no one is likely to find out about it and no one is going to be concerned if it's in relation to an adoption. It does not "look bad."

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.