Malden, MA asked in Social Security for Massachusetts

Q: ive been in the united states for 12 years ive done every level of education here is there any way that i can get a SSN

I've done elementary middle school and highschool here in Massachusetts it just doesn't feel right that i still don't have my social security number

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: If you are a U.S. citizen, you can apply and get a Social Security number. For a foreign born U.S. citizen, Social Security will accept certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship when you apply for a Social Security number, including:

- U.S. passport;

- Certificate of Naturalization (N-550/N-570);

- Certificate of Citizenship (N-560/N-561);

- Certificate of Report of Birth (DS-1350);

- Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240, CRBA)

If you are not a U.S. citizen but do have permission to work in the U.S. from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), you can apply for a Social Security number. Social Security will need to see your I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) or admission stamp in the unexpired foreign passport showing a class of admission permitting work. Some foreign workers must show their I-766 EAD or "work permit" from DHS.

If you are not a U.S. citizen and you do not have permission to work in the U.S., you may apply for a Social Security number only if federal, state or local law requires you to provide your Social Security number to get a particular benefit or assistance. You will have to prove that this is the case.

In addition to completing an application for a Social Security number, you will need to provide at least 2 original or certified documents to prove your citizenship or immigration status, age and identity. Here is a link with more information about applying for a Social Security number at

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.