Lawrence, MA asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My grandparents died and they did not register the property, I have the deed of the property would I be able to register

The property and build if the property was never registered based on Crim?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Perhaps. First of all, the deed would need to be verified to determine whether the property acquired by your grandparents was merely a plot of land or whether it included a building. Having deceased both your grandparents, you'll need to go through the succession (probate) process to establish who are your grandparents' heirs. Several questions need to be answered: When/where did your grandparents die? Did either/both of them leave a will? as a court of law issued a declaration of heirs? It's easier for a duly certified heir to register the deed in the Public Registry (Registro de la Propiedad) as well as the Municipal Income Collections Center (CRIM).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.