Seattle, WA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Washington

Q: Can I add my newborn son to my pending custody case?

We filed a custody case in 2020 for our daughter. We decided in 2021 to work things out in the middle of our custody case. I got pregnant again and now just gave birth to our 2nd child. The case is still pending but it doesn’t include our newborn son. Can I add him to the case or will I have to start a new case for my son?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary C Ashby
Zachary C Ashby
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Richland, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Yes. You will need to amend the petition that started your case. But that is possible to do when there are new facts. You may want to find an attorney to help so that you don't waste your precious time trying to figure out how that works.

The father will, of course, need to be on the birth certificate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.