Monterey, CA asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Elder Law for California

Q: My mother changed the trustee of her living trust from one child to another. There are four siblings and the one who is

now the trustee refuses to share any information about the estate or trust with her three siblings. She has now had Mom diagnosed with dementia. Are we entitled to a copy of the trust and/or any other estate information while Mom is still living? How do we get a copy of the trust?

Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
James Edward Berge
James Edward Berge
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • San Jose, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If mom was diagnosed with dementia, then yes, you and your siblings are all entitled to a copy of the trust and certain information under the terms of a new law which became effective on 1/1/2022. I would advise you to consult with an estate planning attorney to determine and enforce your legal rights as a beneficiary of the trust.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.