Spring, TX asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: Can I be ordered to relocate for my baby?

My ex lived in dallas at the time of pregnancy , got an apartment in houston (Where i live) around the due date , Baby was born in dallas. Moved to houston for 8 months until issues arised in our relationship causing us to split. She then moved back to dallas 4 hours away . And although she has promised multiple times she would never take away my baby because im a great father. She hasn't let me see my baby , threatens to never let me see my baby ever unless I leave the person I'm currently in a relationship with. I am thinking of putting myself on child support so I can have rights to my child, who needs her dad in her life. But she threatens she has a lawyer that will make me relocate to dallas if I choose to put child support on myself and want visitation rights. All I want is visitation rights, I have been sending money for the baby constantly to make sure she's cared for , but I just really miss her and want to see her. (Never married)Thank you, any advice is very appreciated.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You cannot and will not be ordered to move to Dallas if you decide to put yourself on child support. representation. A visitation schedule can be established with you still living in Houston.

However, know that if you go through the Attorney General's Office (commonly known as the child support office), and if you and Mother cannot agree on a visitation schedule, then you will either have to represent yourself in a Dallas Court or get legal representation in Dallas.

The Attorney General's doesn't represent either party, they represent the State of Texas. Their position is to establish, collect and enforce child support. Where there is a disagreement between the parents on anything other then child support, the parties will represent themselves or seek legal representation.

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.