Henderson, NV asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Traffic Tickets for Utah

Q: I was pulled over for speeding in Utah. I am being charged with possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia.

I was pulled over going 90mph in a 70 zone. He smelled weed and told me he was going to search the car. I cooperated and set in his car while he & another officer searched. I had about an eighth of weed and a bong on my front passenger floor. I know I can be charged up to $1000 for each offense but I doubt they would try to put me behind bars for this... What do you think they'll ask me to pay?? Do you think I need a lawyer? If so how much will it cost??

1 Lawyer Answer
William Melton
William Melton
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Taylorsville, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Yes, you need a lawyer. A lawyer can review the case and first make sure that you don't have a defense. Then they can help you get the best possible outcome. You can actually be charged $1,000 plus a 90% surcharge on all class B misdemeanors. It is unlikely that they will do that, but it's possible. Typically the court charges $690 for possession and $690 for a paraphernalia charge, but again a lawyer can likely help you get the best deal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.