New Braunfels, TX asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Texas

Q: My disabled son has a warrant for his arrest due to family violence. I need to find out what options he has.

He is 33 years old and has spina bifida and cerebral palsy. He was charged with family violence against me. He had to move out after it happened and he was under the care of an adult foster care program. His caregiver did not take him to his court date because of his behavior that day. Since he is wheelchair bound he is dependent on others for mobility. He has since been able to get the mental healthcare that he needed and is back in the home with me. He has been living with me since 9/2021. I would like to clear up his record. With his conditions jail would not be an option for him and I truly believe this was all due to mental health. It is hard to get the mental health that is needed in a timely manner when you are disabled.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Shannon Willis Locke
Mr. Shannon Willis Locke
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Too often, our criminal justice system applies cookie-cutter solutions to situations that need a unique response. You should hire a lawyer, and discuss this matter personally with that attorney. Attorneys can evaluate the facts, listen to his side of the story, and discuss how you should approach this matter with the State. An aggressive criminal defense can increase the chances of a dismissal or at the very least a tailored solution that will help your son address whatever underlying issues led to this arrest. However, this can only be done when you speak with an attorney one on one and that attorney listens to you and gives you advice about exactly how to handle this matter. Good luck and get started on finding good legal counsel today.

Rafee'a S. Majeed agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.