Snohomish, WA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Family Law for Washington

Q: Constitutionality of No-contact Order barring Pro Se access to Superior Courthouse? Hypothetical situation/timeline.

-Dist.Court signs a no-contact Order restraining "R"espondent from entering "P"etitioner's workplace.

-P. works as a custodian at the Superior Courthouse where P.vs.R.'s Divorcew/child matter is heard.

-Both P.&R. are ProSe litigants.

-P. files an action to modify custody

-R. files Responsive material w/the Clerk as directed in the summons sent by P.

-Clerk tells P. that R. was at the courthouse,

-P. notifies LE,

-R. defends against cust.mod successfully

-months pass

-R recieves subpoena, chrgd w/multiple felony counts of viol-NCO. (each for reg ProSe business w/the Clerk, RE:same "P.vs.R." famlaw case), ironically heard in SupCourt.

-2mo later P. has new job. New position in the CountyProsecutor's Office.

-R. maintains innocence

-case lags >1yr

-R.turns down offer to lower charges to GrosMsdmnrs in District Court .

-Prosecutor files the GrosMsdmnrs charges (identical) in DC anyway, doesn't drop Felony charges in SC

-R. now defending against 5charges.


1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary C Ashby
Zachary C Ashby
  • Richland, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Publicly posting information about your case--such as a confession or description of action--can be used against you in Court. No one should post this level of detail online.

As with all protective orders, the terms of the order must be strictly followed. There were other options such as hiring an attorney, legal messenger or even mailing documents to the Courthouse.

Anyone who gets hit with a protective order should immediately hire an attorney because you have been accused of seriously bad behavior and if you take a wrong step you can end up charged with felonies. This means a loss of rights such as freedom, voting, second amendment, and right to be with your children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.