Boise, ID asked in Tax Law for Idaho

Q: I worked for an employer for two days and did not fill out any tax paperwork. Got W2 with wrong info.

I worked for an employer for two days and did not fill out any tax paperwork. I have now received a W2 with my name misspelled and SSN incorrect. I believe this employer forged my tax paperwork.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: The question to ask is: did I work for 2 days as my own boss, or did I go through the interview process and then was hired, as an employee? Your question didn't provide many clues. 2 days is a very short time for an "employee" to work and then quit. It's a very short time to be an "employee" unless you did something which gave the company the right to fire you? This doesn't seem logical however. If that were the case, most "fired" employees are not too worried about the W-2 they receive, and if the name or SS# were mistaken, a "fired" employee would probably call HR and simply let them know their mistake and wait for the correct W-2 to be remailed to you. So, I am guessing that you were a construction worker and either quit, got fired or laid off after 2 days? Either scenario however, my advice is NOT to accuse this company of fraud, but to simply call them up and give them your correct name and SS#.

Good luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.