Detroit, MI asked in Probate for Michigan

Q: Do the PR need to Petition the court for approval to Transfer the Property to self before Recording the PR Deed to self?

Only 2 heirs, one is the Personal Representative, with an agreement between heirs that the PR Heir will take over the Property, the other heir simply do not want any interest in it. The other Heir is not requesting any payment for relinquishing interest. The property has no Mortgage & a SEV value of approximately 11,000

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brooke Lauren Archie
Brooke Lauren Archie
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Detroit, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It depends on the restrictions included on the Personal Representative's Letter of Authority. If it contains a restriction against conveying, selling, transferring property which is standard in Wayne County Probate Court, then prior court approval is required before the PR can execute a fiduciary deed transferring the property to the other heir.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.