Gig Harbor, WA asked in Family Law for Washington

Q: If dad is not listed on the birth cert does he need to be notified a of guardianship petition by maternal grandparents

Children were placed with maternal grandparents and we need to file to keep them until they are 18 or she is able to take them. None of the fathers are named on the birth certificates

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary C Ashby
Zachary C Ashby
  • Richland, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Yes. You can look at the requirements in RCW 11.130 states all the requirements for a minor guardianship. It makes no difference if the birth certificate is complete or not. You must give notice to both parents.

Now, if you are named the guardian for the minor child, you may also want to pursue a parentage action so that the father will have a monetary responsibility for the child even if he is not around.

But your circumstances may demand a different course of action and consult with an attorney will help you see clearly so that you have the best chance of success.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.