Taylor, MI asked in Probate for Michigan

Q: What is the purpose of being an interested person in an incapacitated adult probate case?

The guardian refuse to communicate with me as well as all other parties. I then left my contact information as an interested person. I was never contacted. The guardian was to be investigated nothing indicates the guardian was investigated. The ward was abused and passed away. The guardian and the court had ways of contacting me and didn't.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If the ward has passed away, the guardianship is set to end. Who was to do the investigation? If nothing was found, or even if it was, there may not be an obligation to have informed you of the results.

With the ward now deceased, an estate may need to be opened. The term "interested person" is defined in the Michigan Court Rules and EPIC statute. If you meet the definition - for the most part, you need to be the spouse, child, or parent, by blood or by law - you should be listed as an interested person in court filings. If you are not, and otherwise do not meet the legal definition of "interested person", you unfortunately would not have a stake in the matter, and would not otherwise be entitled to communication from the personal representative or the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.