Seattle, WA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Washington

Q: Wrongly served court papers

Someone tried to serve me court papers but sent them to a friend of mines apartment. She recorded the man serving the papers. When she told him I did not live there and she did not except he threw the paperwork down on the ground in front of her and left. Technically I not been served yet....what can I do to get the case thrown out or what are my in options?

1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary C Ashby
Zachary C Ashby
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Richland, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: This really depends on the type of case. The reality is that if this is a family case, you will be found and service done properly. Moreover, serving documents incorrectly does not get a case thrown out.

The risk you run at doing nothing at this time is that you could have orders entered against you by default because the court believes you have been served properly. It will take a great deal of time and effort to undo the orders--and you would need to do so because if you do not challenge an order entered incorrectly it is still enforceable against you--and you would likely be in a worse position at the end of that long process.

The only risk that you have at finding the case and challenging service at this point is that you get served correctly. But in that case you would at least be able to defend yourself against whatever the other side is trying to do.

To avoid immediate service, you can request most documents filed with the court without filing anything with the Court to see what is there before you are served.

Whichever route you go, hiring an attorney and getting tailored advice will help you see clearly what course to take in order to defend yourself against whatever you are accused of.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.