Saint Francisville, LA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Georgia

Q: My dad died recently owing me a personal debt of just over 8000. Do I need to file anything with his estate?

My sister has agreed to pay me, but now that we are in probate, I don't know if I should send a "bill" or not.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jammie Taire
Jammie Taire pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Snellville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I would first like to extend my sympathy regarding the loss of your father. The short answer to your question is yes. You should file a claim against the estate in probate. Sending out a "bill" to your sister is not sufficient. In order to protect your claim a properly filed claim against the estate is the best remedy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.