San Francisco, CA asked in Estate Planning for Utah

Q: Can you answer questions about an executor in another state not communicating what's going on?

My mother in law passed away January 2021 and the executor has still not completed anything. Her house sold in October of 2021 and he said it'll be done soon. Checked in with him in December and he said "well, we have to give a couple of people small amounts of money that she "said" to and then we'll be able to do the rest of the disbursements" - we don't know WHO these other people are and they are not on the written will/trust at all that we see. Now it's February and still nothing - no notice of disbursements, etc. It is her nephew who is excecutor and he and his siblings get a share of the estate while we are in another state - we feel like they are doing sneaky things - how do we go about "rattling their cage" so to speak so they don't think they can get away with anything? My husband, her son, gets the bulk of her estate funds. Many other odd things already happened - they took a lot of the things in her HOUSE which technically should have belonged to him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Hello,

I am sorry for your plight. If this is in Utah and it is a Will, then your husband as a beneficiary is entitled to a copy of the will. Legally they are and the PR / Executor has to give him a copy as well as the inventory when it is completed. The only real stick you have in order to make them provide you with information is to sue or to threaten to sue. You can hire an attorney to send him a letter or you can file suit in a probate court for the information you need.


Kenneth Prigmore agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.