Roanoke, VA asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: I need help understanding how an expungement works and perjury used in a trial.

Do you go in front of a Judge to plead your case for an expungement? I have evidence that perjury was used in my trial, my charge was a counter charge after said person was delivered the summons. I was arrested for another false charge by the same person months later. My protective order was also dropped due to perjury.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paula Hough
Paula Hough
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: These are two separate questions.

As for expungement, when a person is found not guilty or their case is otherwise dismissed by the Commonwealth, the individual may be eligible to have the charge expunged from their record. That is done by a civil petition to the Circuit Court of the jurisdiction where the case was concluded. You should reach out to an attorney, who can help you determine if you are eligible and to answer any questions you have about the petition process.

With regard to the perjury question, you will need to provide more details, as I'm not sure about what you are asking.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.