Ferndale, WA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Washington

Q: If I have primary custody of my son currently, and want to modify the order to have sole custody. What steps do I take?

I am concerned about emotional and mental abuse and there was an altercation recently. My son would like to be with me always.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary C Ashby
Zachary C Ashby
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Richland, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: It can be difficult when dealing with an ex who has their own emotional problems. While Washington law favors parenting plans where both parents are able to parent according to their own style, it can be possible to limit and condition the time the other parent spends with the child.

For example, it is possible to require the other parent to attend counseling with the child, only have supervised access, or limit what decisions the other parent is able to make.

But these limitations can be very difficult to prove and put in place, especially when you already have a parenting plan in place. It is important that you consult an attorney and see what options you have given your circumstnaces.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.