Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: I'm the mother and I want to sign temporary guardianship over to my parents. I'm in a Child safety case with DHS.

I need more time because DHS is wanting to take custody of her. The DHS worker has mentioned my mom to take temporary guardianship. If I sign temporary guardianship to my mom will DHS drop the case

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: DHS may or may not drop the case. However, by your parents obtaining guardianship would allow the DHS worker to let your child remain in the care of a family member and not go into foster care in the event DHS stipulates you having to correct some items. If you feel there is validity to the investigation then giving guardianship to your parents is a smart move based on the limited facts you have given. A family lawyer can assist you with this and there are many good ones on this forum and most likely some that practice in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.