Aberdeen, MS asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Mississippi

Q: I am trying to domesticate my divorce decree from AL to MS where I currently live. How can I do this?

I've been to the circut clerk office twice now. The second time I went back I brought several printed pages stating the MS codes for domesticating foreign judgments and they called me back to say they could not do that, I would have to open up a brand new case in MS. I am needing this done quickly so i can petition a change of custody. I have lived in MS for two years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: There is no need to “domesticate” an Alabama marriage license in Mississippi. If the marriage is lawful in Alabama, Mississippi will recognize it. However, the test for filing a custody action in Mississippi has nothing to do with where the marriage took place. The question is where was the original custody decree entered, where does the child live, and for how long.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.