Asked in Criminal Law, Juvenile Law and Sexual Harassment for Louisiana

Q: I have a friend (15yr female) who has been sexually abused and recently choked by a peer (18yr male). What can I do?

I(18yr, British) have found out that a friend of two years (15yr, New Orleans) has been assaulted multiple times by a male peer, first by non-consensual kissing and groping, and more recently through choking, my friend is young and mentally ill (ADHD and a pre-existing ward visit). I've been trying to convince her to get help from school but it seems that things haven't worked as she relies on her abuser to help protect her from bullying and other male peers that have been pursuing her. I would like to know what I can tell her to help her out of this abusive situation that has significantly impacted her mental health.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Contact law enforcement, her guardian and her school.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.